In the digital age, our conversations are invaluable, and losing access to our chat history, especially on platforms like WhatsApp, can be disconcerting. Fortunately, WhatsApp offers a comprehensive system for automatically storing your chats daily, ensuring that you can recover them in the event of data corruption or, more importantly, if your account has been hacked. This article provides a step-by-step guide to recovering your WhatsApp chats on an Android device and emphasizes the importance of using Google Drive for backup.
Recovering Your WhatsApp Chats: A Comprehensive Guide for Android Users
Follow these steps to make the recovery of deleted WhatsApp messages easier, especially if you’ve enabled WhatsApp backup before deleting these chats. Simply import the backed-up WhatsApp data into the WhatsApp app, and the deleted messages will be successfully recovered.
Automatic Daily Backups:
WhatsApp’s default setting involves storing your chats daily in your phone’s WhatsApp database. This includes a complete chat history, facilitating recovery in case of any mishap.
Recommendation: Use Google Drive for Backup:
We highly recommend utilizing Google Drive to back up your entire chat and media history. This adds an extra layer of security and convenience, especially when transitioning to a new phone.
Restoring Chats from Your Phone’s WhatsApp Database:
Follow these steps to restore chats stored on your phone’s WhatsApp database:
- Download a File Manager App: If your phone doesn’t already have a file manager app, download one from your app store.
- Copy the Most Recent Backup: If your data isn’t stored on an SD card, locate “internal storage” or “main storage.” Copy the most recent backup to the “Databases” folder on your new phone.
- Install and Open WhatsApp: Install WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your number.
- Tap RESTORE: When prompted, tap RESTORE to recover your chats and media from the database.
Restoring Older Chats from Your Phone’s WhatsApp Database:
If you need to restore older chats, follow these steps:
- Download a File Manager App: If your phone lacks a file manager app, download one from the app store.
- Navigate to WhatsApp Database: In the file manager app, locate your phone’s WhatsApp database or sdcard > WhatsApp > Databases. On Android 10+, the file path is: Main Storage > Android > Media > com.whatsapp > WhatsApp > Databases.
- Rename the Backup File: Rename the backup file you want to restore from “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt14” to “msgstore.db.crypt14.” Ensure not to change the crypt extension number.
- Uninstall and Reinstall WhatsApp: Uninstall and then reinstall WhatsApp on your device.
- Tap RESTORE: When prompted, tap RESTORE to initiate the recovery process.
Note: Additional Requirements for Database Restoration:
To restore chats stored on your phone’s WhatsApp database, you’ll need a computer, a file explorer, and available storage or an SD card to transfer files from your old phone to your new phone. This process ensures a seamless transition and recovery of your valuable chat history.
By following these detailed steps, you can successfully recover your WhatsApp chats, whether they are recent or older backups, safeguarding your precious conversations against the unfortunate event of a hacked account or data corruption. Always prioritize regular backups to Google Drive for added security and peace of mind.